Saturday, May 28, 2011

Teens with irregular periods more likely to be obese


Teenagers who have irregular periods are more likely to be overweight and to have early warning signs of diabetes and heart disease than those with regular menstrual cycles. There may be a misconception in adolescent medicine ... that ‘it takes a couple of years after menarche to get the engine running' and hence one might not want to be concerned about irregular adolescent menstrual cycles. Even in young teenagers, irregular menstrual cycles are not normal. 

I can vouch for this, as I always had irregular periods, when I was a teen & the doctors also said, once I grow old , have kids, it will improve, but it never did. I was & am still obese at 58. In case, any of you've teens with this problem, please insist with your gynae, to look into it carefully & get her treated as early as possible, so she doesn't face obesity & other concerned problems later in life.

ps- those interested in vegetarian recipes, are free to view my recipe blog-
http://gseasyrecipes.blogspot.com/

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home